Friday, January 19, 2018

Winter Fitness






Get Outside

Living in the south, I can be a four seasons outdoor kind of gal.  And it's a good thing since I discovered long ago I was solar powered.  Even if the air is frigid, the sunshine works wonders to elevate my mood and give me an energy boost.  You've probably heard me tell the story of giving away my treadmill...I got tired of dusting it.  It's pretty rare that I'm stuck inside due to the weather. 


Build A Base

Winter is our prime running season.  Breathing no longer requires gills.  For the past two years, I've run a January marathon which had me at peak training during the holidays.   Even though I enjoyed that setup, I opted not to run one this Winter.   No worries, I plan to run consistently and participate in quite a few half marathons that I can easily travel to.  I trust this will set a good base for a marathon later this year.


Injury Prevention

I don't talk about it much, but I do a routine mostly focused on my hips and glutes with some core work thrown in.  Most of these exercises were learned at physical therapy a few years ago.   Winter is the perfect time to up your game and add an extra weekly session.
 

Cardio Workouts
 
I have committed to at least once weekly cardio sessions this Winter.  Although in sharp contrast to point one, I've found it's simply easier to keep my heart rate elevated and steady by cycling indoors as opposed to outdoors.  I presume it's due to the lack of downhill coasting (aka: there is no resting).   Heart Zones does a good job of explaining the benefits of training in different zones if you are interested.  Since I'd rather be outside, I combat the boredom with 70's funk blaring in my ears or watch The Good Doctor or The Amazing Race.  Yes, I can be content for an hour. 


Winter Vacation

For me, there's an extra incentive for staying fit in Winter.  Snow skiing.  Hoping we can return to the slopes soon, I'll need those additional cardio workouts under my belt.  Skiing at 12,000 feet of altitude is no joke (actually sitting still at that altitude is no joke for this low lander). Oh, and feeling those burning quads while coming down those long steep trails?  I recently added wall sits to assist with that.  Every bit of training helps.
 

Have you committed to anything different this Winter?

Was is your favorite type of  non-running cardio workout?
 
 
 
 
I'm joining in on the Friday Five 2.0 linkup
Stop by and see what everyone is talking about.





26 comments:

  1. Getting outside in the sun during Winter really does help my mood! I was surprised at what an impact it makes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like crack for your brain or something. LOL. The difference is remarkable!

      Delete
  2. I get outside and run as long as it's safe. And if it's not, I have to resort to the treadmill and I am not happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You certainly run in some pretty frigid and icy conditions. I'd be much wimpier than you. But, it's about doing what you have to!

      Delete
  3. I definitely use this time to work on my strength training. My training schedule is light, so I can focus on strength and build up for when training does officially start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It really makes a big difference when the hard training begins.

      Delete
  4. I love to get outside in the winter - the sun and fresh air really changes my mood. Sometimes it takes a little coaxing in my brain because of the cold, but once I'm out, it's great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your are right, it does take some convincing sometimes but ends up being well worth it!

      Delete
  5. Don't forget all that arm work prep for waterskiing! :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I'm working on that too. Since it was a winter topic...I left that out. LOL.

      Delete
  6. Great points on skiing! I'd love to see your usual strength workout. I need to mix mine up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The basic routine consists of 300-350 reps (each side). I vary a few of the hip/glute exercises just so it isn't the same thing over and over. Right now I'm adding pushups and wall sits after. My add ins vary too.

      Delete
  7. I used to be a big a skiing back when I was in school, but haven't done it for many years. I don't have a favorite winter activity. I should find one, then maybe I would like winter a little more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned to snow ski in my twenties. Unfortunately, we are a long way from slopes with "good" snow so I don't get to go as often as I'd like.

      Delete
  8. Winter is such a great time to do some extra injury prevention! I do like getting outside even in the winter- the fresh air and sunshine feels so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying hard to not to get lazy with injury prevention! But, sometimes I forget and then I'm mad at myself.

      Delete
  9. The sun really does make a huge difference for me! If it's grey and cloudy, I'd just as soon hit the gym for some cardio time ...but then, I really think I could be a gym rat if I let myself. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's wonderful you enjoy the gym as there are so many options to choose from!

      Delete
  10. Well, you probably know my favorite non-running cardio is stair climbing, but I really need to find some other options. We do have a stationary bike in the basement...I'm not a fan, but I should give it a whirl. Thanks for the "suggestion."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been on a spin bike. Having Sanity specifically adjusted for me, I'd be afraid to ride anything else. Knowing me, I'd throw something out of whack. LOL

      Delete
  11. it's not so cold here so I'm trying to get out daily to have a walk and get my steps in. Since I haven't been running much, basically trying to start off my half marathon training completely without injury, I've been doing other stuff at the gym and at home. Spinning is my go-to alternative, but I definitely am a fan of cross-training so I try to do all the runners' exercises for glutes, hips, quads, hammies, calves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it warms some, I'd like to try walking our foster dog (who will probably become permanent). He's big though. It's going to take everything I have to teach him. That will be cross training for sure!

      Delete
  12. Since we have cooler and more comfortable temperatures in Hong Kong during the winter, hiking really ramps up and we do the more challenging ones. I tend to do less hiking in the summer when it's super hot and humid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is something I wish I could do more of, especially in our spring and fall seasons.

      Delete
  13. I'm not so sure it's much cardio the way I do it, but i do love to swim.

    I am not ramping up training for a long time myself. I hit it hard for 2 1/2 years and a little "rest" feels good. I think.

    I don't know what I'd do if I still lived in the south, but I know I'd be on the treadmill, probably even more than I'm on it now! You know it's bad when Darlene gets on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think swimming is excellent cardio! I wish I was a good swimmer. A rest does the body good. I'm sure you'll be back into training soon. Yes, Darlene would be the high limit on the TM necessity scale.

      Delete

I enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for taking the time to leave one!