Saturday, December 5, 2015

Coffee Talk (December)




Happy December!


It's a lazy chilly Saturday morning at my house.  I'm snuggled up in front of the Christmas tree with my dogs.  I've got my Christmas mug filled with Dark Magic coffee with a healthy dose of peppermint mocha creamer and the Keurig is on standby  for another.  Let's chat for a while.



Over Coffee...

I'd tell you how I'm sadly missing the Panama City Beach half marathon today.  Our oldest son has run this with me for the past several years.  We had made this our yearly tradition, well at least in my mind.  Our local Jingle Bell 5k is today too.  Obviously, I'm missing that race as well.  I hope this will be the last of the missing!




Over Coffee...

Although I truly wish everyone the best of luck with their races, I'd admit it's makes me a little melancholy to read about them.  I have a serious case of race envy.  I'm pretty sure once I'm completely healed, I will run every race I can locate.  I've got to make up for lost time!



Over Coffee...

I'd ask how many of you have your shopping finished.  Are you like me and have barely started?   It's is a goal of mine to not go into a mall or large retail store this month.  Walmart?  You couldn't pay me enough!  I do have a few specialty shops I must visit. Those, I really don't mind.  I'm trying my darnedest to order everything online.  Go Amazon Prime!  I simply don't enjoy the torture everyone else calls shopping.  Those gift card racks at the grocery store look awfully appealing.  




Over Coffee...

I'd tell you I'm still unsure about running the WDW Marathon.  Even though I've spent all this time attempting to stay in marathon shape, it's crazy to think my foot will hold up for that distance (much less all those other body parts that have only been subjected to the lesser pool running).   I decided not to defer my registration though.  I couldn't bring myself to throw away another $55.  I'm beyond ready for all of this to be over.  The not knowing part is as stressful as the injury.  OK, enough whining.



Over Coffee...

I'd ask how you cyclists keep your feet from going numb.  It happens to me whether its warm or cold (although worse when cold) and starts about an hour into a ride.   It's not my shoes...they are so loose I could kick them off.  I assume it's the same problem I have when I water ski -- because my feet are frozen in the same position for so long.  Any tricks?   Or, am I the only weird person with this problem?




What would you tell me over coffee?


A huge Thank You to our Ultimate Coffee Date hosts!

Please visit and join in too!







Don't forget about the Thank You To My Follows giveaway hop. 
It closes Sunday nightHave you entered?  Click on this image!

http://hohoruns.blogspot.com/2015/11/holiday-giveaway-aurorae.html







29 comments:

  1. Numb feet. Hmm, I get numb fingers sometimes and have to combat that by changing my hand position on the bars and sometimes sitting upright and riding one handed to shake out my arm for awhile. I wonder if it is a bike fit issue. Do you get out of the saddle to stand and pedal periodically? That's a pretty automatic thing here where it is really hilly. I'll do portion of climbs standing and then descending with my butt off the saddle in a crouch, so maybe that gives the change. If you don't have much hills, you may try some out of the saddle bursts every 10 min or so just to change up body position and circulation. I assue the bike shop fitted you when you bought the bike?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the bike shop fitted me. I don't think it's that. My hands do the same thing and I do like you - sit up and shake out my arms. But I can't shake out my feet, you know? I'm probably not getting out of the saddle enough. I definitely have hills. My long route is very hilly and keeps earning me these awesome stair climbing badges on Fitbit. I think I just need to get up off that seat more! Thanks for the tip. I'm riding long today...I'll see how it goes.

      Delete
  2. ooh peppermint mocha creamer! Yum! I've never had that problem with my feet going numb while cycling and I can't imagine what that is from. hmmm. Thanks for joining us for coffee today! Almost done with shopping did lots online

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to knock out my shopping within the next week. I don't like to be stressed right at the end. I'd rather spend the last week or two just baking and wrapping.

      Delete
  3. You will heal soon and back to running. The holiday shopping and wrapping is pretty much done! I am in shock. We have never been this ready this early. Off to get the tree today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I hope so. I'm impressed you already have it wrapped too? Have fun decorating the tree.

      Delete
  4. I don't know if this will help you since my numbness is only related to the cold, but last winter, my toes starting going numb during cold runs so I went so far as to put hand warmers, that I already had, inside my shoes to warm my feet. Sometimes, I wore two pairs of socks instead. I'm sorry that you're missing out on races - no fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's more of a circulation problem. It happened on my last 50 mile ride yesterday and it wasn't cold. That is a good tip for cold weather though!

      Delete
  5. So sorry, it must be so tough to hear all about running when you're still on the mend. The Disney marathon sounds like an amazing experience, I hope you have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days are tougher than others. I just have to keep plugging away doing what I can. I hope I'm able to participate in the Disney race.

      Delete
  6. I hate shopping too. I will make a list and get everything done on a Sunday (today for example) in 3 hours. Then I will enjoy the rest of the month. No idea for your foot going numb.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just spent time Amazon Priming. I think what is frustrating is when you don't know what to get someone. If I know, it's a very simple process!

      Delete
  7. I understand your race envy although for me it's not really race envy but general running envy! I think my piriformis is finally recovering although it's not 100% there yet. It gives me extra motivation to do my strength training through the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm frustrated at the length of time I've spent recovering. It always takes longer than they say! Bone issues are so much worse than tendon issues, in my experience. I didn't realize you were having piriformis problems! I get that pain occasionally too.

      Delete
  8. I am no where near done shopping. I too, get really jealous of reading about other runners races when I am sidelined. I mean, I'm happy for them and enjoy reading, but feel down because I can't do it too. I'm hoping that you are close to healed!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling a little better about the shopping. I'm about half way, I think. I am very happy for all the runners too, it just makes me sad that I can't get out there. It's the WHY ME syndrome rearing it's ugly head.

      Delete
  9. It is always my goal not to be that person at Christmas Eve at Walmart. I actually am almost done this yr. Which is one less thing I gotta worry about....yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so impressed. I want to be completely finished by the 10th. I'm not sure I'll make it.

      Delete
  10. Are you able to switch to the half? Sometimes discretion really is the better part of valor. You want your first marathon to be a great experience, right? I wish you luck no matter what you choose to do & will send lots of good vibes.

    Online shopping is seriously too easy.I'm lucky that I can go during the day, so I never have to deal with the really nutty crowded stores. Why would you when there's Amazon Prime, anyway?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you can't switch races distances. I've just spent so much time in this crazy training plan to just throw it all away. But, I will if I must.

      Delete
  11. Oh dang I feel so out of the loop not getting a coffee date post ready. It was so easy to get behind on vacation I needed time to catch up. Then another trip. We are getting our money's worth in the RV this month for sure. Over coffee we would talk about the Disney trip. We are going to hope for the best an without the pressure of a real timed race hopefully your body will surprise you. I'd also secretly tell you traveling is so much easier with just Greg an I. Kids make things way more complicated. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like you've been having a blast on your trips too. I can certainly understand why it's easier to travel without the kids! I wish I knew about Disney! It's causing me stress.

      Delete
  12. I love the StarWars spiced latte (cinnamon) creamer Coffeemate has put out. YUMMY. You've got me all misty eyed. I so appreciate you doing that for me and thinking of me! Your friendship has really meant so much to me through this madness! I hope we will be able to race together in the Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you think you could walk it if you couldn't run it? Fingers crossed that the race will work for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, that is what I'm worried about. I've had more soreness from walking than running.

      Delete
  14. Amazon Prime makes my world go round, haha. :]

    I hope you heal up soon! Being injured is rough! :[

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy and quick! Why would we want to go to a crowded store?

      Delete
  15. I have the same issue when I cycle for a long period of time. I try to move my toes a lot, and for really long rides, I will take my feet out and put them on top of my shoes and pedal (one side only). Bad, I know!

    I have bought exactly one holiday gift. LOL. Not a huge priority for me this year.

    I am sorry you've had to miss races. That blows. I hope the rest of the year and 2016 is healthier for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally! Someone with the same issue. I took turns letting them dangle while shaking them out on my last long ride. It helped a little. But, it requires coasting. I don't like to do that because it lowers my heart rate. Waa waa.

      Delete

I enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for taking the time to leave one!