Friday, November 7, 2014

Staying on Track (Friday Five)

This is the Friday link up with Eat Pray Run DC, You Signed Up For What, and Mar On The Run. Thanks for taking the time to stop by.  These are 5 tips that help me stay on track during the holidays.

  1. Schedule a big race that will keep you accountable.  For the past several years, I've been training for November, December and January half marathons during this time of year.  I have no choice but to  keep running.  Yep, you'll find yourself saying "I need a little more sweet potato pie, please".
  2. Enjoy yourself in moderation.  Depriving yourself just never works.  It makes you want that much more.  Holidays are the time to spend with family and friends.  In the south, it's all about the food!  Enjoy it and don't get wrapped up in the guilt.  Save your wrapping skills for the presents.
  3. Don't eat the things you can get any old time of the year.  For example, I'm not going to put bread on my plate.  Why bother?  I'm also not going to waste my calories on sweet tea (a southern tradition).  Drink water only and plenty of it.  I will spend my calories on the yummy seasonal dishes that only come out this time of year.  Just make sure they are in small portions.
  4. Run early.  GET IT DONE.  You will feel so much better and able to handle the stresses of the day.  If you plan to run later, other "junk" will get in the way.  After working, shopping, appointments, errands, cooking...I'm looking for the bed, not a run.
  5. Promise yourself a treat for not over indulging and sticking to your runs.  I love me some new running clothes, shoes, or a spa day!!

Happy Holidays!  I'd like to hear your tips for staying on track!  


There is still time to register and *WIN*WIN*WIN* in the Giveaway HopClick here.


16 comments:

  1. Love all the tips! I use these tricks as well. Especially signing up for a big race. That way if I accidentally overeat sweets I'm still kind of okay... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have several races scheduled in the future so I am always in training over holidays. I have Vegas next wk then Goofy in Jan..Yay! -L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so awesome you are doing Goofey! Good luck in Vegas!

      Delete
  3. I always need to have some sort of race on the schedule so I stay on track especially in the winter time. Good tips
    Confessions of A Mother Runner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Racing is a great way to stay on track year round!

      Delete
  4. Great tips! I need to remember to only eat treats that are worth it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm a big fan of #4. i like my runs to start my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the idea to treat yourself if you get in your workouts. Also, skipping the usual foods is a great tip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tips! I'm always a fan of getting the run in early, especially around the holidays. Life gets too hectic and if you sleep in and decide to wait until after the festivities then chances are it will never happen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of your tips are very good! #2 is something that I tell my clients. I don't mind hearing that they enjoyed themselves in moderation, but I tell them to not let the holidays become a free-for-all.

    Not drinking your calories (unless it's good wine), is another great idea. And I never thought about not putting something on my plate that I can get any time, and only enjoy the seasonal foods. I'll have to remember that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the wine. LOL. I use the seasonal food trick all the time. I'm not wasting space on my plate or in my stomach for everyday foods at a special occasion.

      Delete

I enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for taking the time to leave one!