Tuesday, December 2, 2014

An A-Okay 5k

I ran Ryan's Run Show Your Team Spirit 5k on Saturday morning.  This run is held in honor of a young man who died in 2010 at the young age of 24.  He was a huge college football fan and loved this time of year.  This race is held on the day of our state's big rivalry game.



The lone female
I've participated in this race several times and the course is, quite honestly, not a favorite. It's an out and back route. You basically climb up slightly for a while and then down, down into a hole. At this point, you turn around and have to dig yourself out of said hole.  After the Route 66 half on Sunday, I had only run once this week (4 miles) just to make sure my geriatric body still worked.  Meh...sort of.

Irene, Me, Cathy and Jenny  (All Age Group Winners)

I held back a little on the first mile because I knew mile 2 was tough, tough, tough.  Mile 3 would be the easiest but I couldn't be too exhausted after mile 2.  It all worked pretty much according to plan. There was a Big Dude Stranger who had the smoothest, most effortless-looking stride.  I paced those awful mile 2 hills with him, step for step. Thank you Big Dude Stranger.  Sorry I passed you toward the end.  My overall 5k pace was about 8:40 which is still not close to where I want it (darn you mile 2!).  Happily, mile 3 was right on target so I felt pretty good about the race.

The Most Important Thing...HAVE FUN!


It was a beautiful chilly morning, I placed first in my age group, won a $50 door prize to an eyewear shop (new sunglasses maybe?), hung out with my running buds, and ate a peanut butter waffle afterwards with Team WH. Oh, and our football team won the game later that night.  Does it get any better?


I'm headed to Florida for my next half this Saturday with no expectations other than to have fun.  Do I dare run without my Garmin?  {Eeeeekkkkk!}



**  Wait  **    Don't forget to enter in the Holiday Health & Fitness Giveaway Hop

 

18 comments:

  1. Congrats! Look at all of you with your super-cute awards! Worth the nasty hill, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on your next half. You're a racing machine. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm not setting any time goals for this one!

      Delete
  3. Wooo hooo congrats on your age group win! And once again, to that peanut butter waffle :) And I was told to mention the giveaway hop on here as credit for my extra entry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! The waffle hits the spot after a race!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like fun- congrats! I've never run a race without a garmin (except one time when it was broken) but I think if you're just running for fun you should go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay congrats on 1st in your age! Love that you used the guy to pace you, and then passed him LOL I would have loved to see his face as you did:)
    Good luck this weekend!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I paced with the same dude in a recent 10k. Passed him that time too! LOL.

      Delete
  6. Nice job!!!!! That is a fun medal! And awesome you found someone to help pace! :)

    Now all I can think about is a PB waffle :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The PB waffle is the best. We needs carbs after running, right? I appreciate you stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Thanks! This was my first skirt ever (Nike). It has really held up well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on placing first in your age group! $50 for sunglasses is a great prize!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I can find some for that price! I'm sure I'll have to kick in some more $$.

      Delete
  9. Congrats on your age group win! That trophy is crazy looking! I love that you passed (and pointed out that you passed) Big Dude Stranger. I just love passing guys at the finish line!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sure he was not happy to be chicked by such an "old "woman". Ha.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for taking the time to leave one!