Sunday, September 13, 2015

Weekly Wrap # 6



Welcome to the Weekly Wrap!

This weekly linkup is hosted by yours truly and my good friend Tricia @ MissSippiPiddlin.  The purpose is to connect with and support other active women.  We want to hear about your weekly adventures.  You are encouraged to include anything you did to be active or anything you considered fun.  Please tell us how you amazing women accomplish it all.  You can summarize your whole week or just a small portion of it.  It's up to you!  See rules here.




This week's schedule was different because of the Labor Day holiday and the 10k race I was thinking about running Saturday.  What is usually a rest day on Monday instead was a water skiing day, the second one of the long holiday weekend.  I'm not complaining at all!  It will come to a sad, screeching halt very soon.  PoPo grilled delicious bacon wrapped filets to celebrate the holiday.

Appropriately, Tuesday's run was a 5 mile recovery run.  I was feeling the fatigue of running 21 miles on Sunday sandwiched between two days of skiing.

My iPhone has started taking almost colorless pictures!

Wednesday was a rest day and Thursday I ran 8 miles at a muggy 10:11 pace.  This was such a steamy morning.  {Per Aerosmith...It's the same old story, same old song and dance, my friend.}  Friday was switched to a rest day because the 10k was on Saturday. 

Saturday it was 71 degrees with 87% humidity when I got out of the car at the race to benefit Family Guidance Centers.  Although a tad better, the air still felt really sticky.  I debated about running this all week.  I know my 5k and 10k paces are off (I'm trying hard not to dwell on that!) but I felt I should get back into racing mode.  I wanted to work on pacing, particularly not going out too fast, and going through water stops as quickly as possible.  I've never been very good at that.

I treated the 10k as a training run at marathon race pace.  I ran pretty steady the whole race, except the last uphill mile cost me some time.  My 9:41 pace was enough to win Female Grand Masters.  {Ahem--most people ran in the 5k!}  The route took us through beautiful residential areas complete with duck ponds and I can't complain about the race direction or amenities.  I just have mixed emotions about my results.  Don't misunderstand,  I would be ecstatic to run that pace in the Chicago Marathon.  But this was only a 10k and it alarmed me how tough that 6th mile felt.  Have I done enough?  Am I kidding myself by thinking "It's just the summer weather"?

My buddies Beth (center) and Chris (right).  Chris just ran the Kauai half in Hawaii and placed 2nd in age group!

This was a cutback week on the training plan I don't really follow.  The weather changed during the night and I was able to sleep late Sunday morning.  I ran 12 miles but didn't start until 7:30 and it was a delightful 58 degrees!  I had a few niggles during this run.  My left knee was tight and I had to stop and stretch a couple of times.  It felt OK by the end.  I also had a mild side stitch after one of my mailbox pit stops but thankfully it didn't last.  After I got home, the top of my left foot started hurting.  {Are you kidding me -- insert meltdown here.}

In summary, I ran 31 miles this week.  The weather should be better in the mornings this coming week.  I hope I can work on pace a couple of times, but at this point there's not much time left.  I have one more extra long run next weekend and then I begin a gradual taper.  Ready or not...

And that's a wrap!

Tell me something about your week!

And we'd love you to also WRAP IT UP WITH US.



Don't forget to enter my giveaway in the Fall Into Fitness Giveaway Hop!


http://hohoruns.blogspot.com/2015/09/fall-into-fitness-giveaway-hop.html

50 comments:

  1. This week flew by for me coming off an exciting race weekend and then a holiday at that! Wow Popo's grilled bacon wrapped filets sound amazing! So very exciting your training run got you a Female Grand Masters award! That is awesome! I'm looking forward to the nice fall like temps this week! May even have some camping to write about towards the end of the week! Have a great week my friend!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The air feels so much better, if only for a few days! Once they posted the official results Monday, I saw I won first in my age group instead. I guess they had issues on race day. Oops. But, I'll take that too! Same coffee cup award. LOL.

      Delete
  2. Wow - 21 mile run between water skiing - wonderful! I haven't been on water skis for years but your picture brings back memories. Congrats on the 10K win!! Also, great weekly mileage!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I sure will miss the water skiing when the weather gets too cool. This week will be the peak for my mileage. I'm a little nervous about the long run again.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on winning Female Grand Masters!! Hope your left foot is ok! Good thing the weather is getting better! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The foot feels better. I ran five miles today. I don't think it's fatal (I'm hoping!).

      Delete
  4. Awesome week! I know what you mean about the temperatures. This morning I finally woke up to a chill in the air. That is good for running and other fall sports! I hope you'll find your target paces feel quite a bit easier in the cool weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to find those targets, but it may be after I run Chicago! There's not much time left and I need to focus on finishing this race and nothing else. LOL.

      Delete
  5. Great job this week, and congrats on the 10k! I am really hoping the cooler weather will make a difference in how running feels. I think most of us have just had enough of the heat and humidity at this point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, after six months I'm just about at my breaking point. Thankfully, I had a nice cool run this morning. Mother Nature must have known I couldn't handle much more.

      Delete
  6. I think you have several things going on: cumulative fatigue from your training & the weather; the 10k coming just a week after your 21 miler (there's that cumulative fatigue); and remember training for a marathon doesn't really prepare you for the shorter distances. The top of your foot hurting could simply be from tying your shoe too tight - I speak from experience there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Judy. You make me feel so much better! I think I need you on speed dial! I've had the too tight lace problem on that same foot before. This feels a little different. I hope it's nothing serious. I ran five miles this morning without problem. It actually hurts to walk and not when I run. One of those weird things.

      Delete
  7. Great job on that AG win! That was pretty awesome considering the conditions. And I had 31 miles last week too. Now heading into my highest mileage week...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the 10k! Great race pic- those are rare for me! I can't wait for the days when I have high mileage again :) Happy Monday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I thought the pic my friend took with the STOP was cute. That's something I wouldn't even notice when I was running.

      Delete
  9. I blame a lot of things on the weather. Your legs could've been tired and heavy too. There's a lot that could be going on, but don't feel discouraged. You're doing great! Especially that 21-miler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather takes a lot of heat, doesn't it? (PUN INTENDED!) Thanks for the encouragement.

      Delete
  10. Way to rock 21 miles! What is this "grand master" age group you speak of? Whatever it is, I need to find it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly it must be a mistake. I can't be that old, can I? I was actually bumped down to first in my AG once the official results were posted. I'm not so Grand after all!

      Delete
  11. Congrats on that Grand Masters win! That's very cool. I hope your foot is better and you enjoy the cooler mornings this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the foot is a little better and I did enjoy a cool run just this morning!

      Delete
  12. What a great week! Enjoy that gradual taper coming up soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I plan to. I'll have plenty of time to get all paranoid before the race. LOL.

      Delete
  13. Congrats on the win and running 31 miles last week! That's awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate it. This will be my highest mileage week and then I get to taper!

      Delete
  14. There has finally been a break in the heat here too and I am so looking forward to cooler weather runs. We had a semi hectic first week of school so this week should go much smoother around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That first week is always hectic! We are back into a routine now and it feels good.

      Delete
  15. Don't worry about the time for your 10k, but huge congrats on 1st grand masters. Hope you earned something fun for your victory! I find during marathon training some runs seem so easy and others even at an easy pace seem so hard. It is just part of the training cycle. You will do great in Chicago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement. The official race results were amended. I was first in my age group instead. Oh well, the award was the same coffee mug.

      Delete
  16. I hate those niggles too... always so frustrating. I try to convince myself it is my mind playing tricks on me. I want to listen to my body, but not if it is playing games. I sometimes have a hard time telling ! Fingers crossed for cooler weather your way. I am not sure how I would handle all that humidity ! Thanks for the link up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to overthink all the niggles! I want to be smart, but when I get really close to a big race -- I think everything turns into a crisis.

      Delete
  17. Awesome job winning Female Grand Masters!! Great mileage for the week too! Hoping you are running in cooler weather this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My award was demoted to first in my age group when they posted official results. Oh, well. We did get a little break in the weather this week, but not for long.

      Delete
  18. We are having really nice weather - but I'm sure it's a tease. We're bound to have some more gross days before we're freezing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. It will change overnight and everyone will complain about how cold it is. HA.

      Delete
  19. Congratulations on winning Female Master's!!! I know that feeling very well of aching and niggling injuries EVERYWHERE. I heard it's similar to a med student phenomenon where med students study all these ailments, and think they have every single one. Basically, it's our mind playing tricks on us! Your training has been SOLID - you've been tearing it up!!! Yay for your upcoming taper!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouraging words. I know I'm stressing over all the little aches. I'm also terrified I'm going to get sick or something. Argh!

      Delete
  20. What a busy weekend, I would be wiped after all that and a 21 mile run! Great job :). And congratulations on your 10k!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I got one more extra long run this weekend and then the hay will be in the barn.

      Delete
  21. The week flew by! and I was so excited to have a some what normal training week! I will post my weekly wrap tomorrow- just a little behind due the to blog hop- woo hoo! Great week for you! If I ran 21 miles I would need a 2 week recovery!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably do need a two week recovery! One more extra long run and I'm done with that.

      Delete
  22. I have not skipped a run or slacked on mileage. Was it enough? We'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gosh, I hope I can blame the weather. If not, it's back to square one with training for the next marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats on your race! The hot weather definitely makes everything seem harder, so try not to get too in your head about the end of that race. :) When cooler weather comes, everything will seem easier (or so I keep telling myself).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's what I've said all summer. I'm just waiting so see if that happens now. Here's hoping!

      Delete
  25. Congrats on your award at the 10k. Remember that you ran that race in the middle of your peak weeks during training. You're going to be well rested with fresh legs at Chicago. You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How do you know exactly what to say to make me feel better? Thanks! I needed to hear this today.

      Delete
  26. Congrats on snagging the master's win! Here's to some gorgeous fall weather, and the end to summer humidity.

    I wouldn't beat myself up too much about marathon pace feeling tough in the final mile of the 10K. I mean, you're in the midst of training, and you had that long run the Sunday prior sandwiched between a lot of water skiing. As long as you don't plan to run 21 miles the weekend before the marathon and do a bunch of water skiing, I'd say that last mile of the 10K isn't the best predictor. Just my two cents :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My award was demoted to 1st in my AG after they made some corrections to the results. Oh, well. Same coffee cup award. I try to remind myself that I will be rested before the race and will NOT have water skied for a week or two either. I appreciate the 2 cents!

      Delete

I enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for taking the time to leave one!