Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Being Pragmatic

As you may know, I run in my neighborhood very early in the morning.  There are other people out running, walking, and walking their dogs both in our park and along the streets.  I run here because it's the pragmatic thing to do.  I feel safe.   I never get too far from my house.  I often get comments about how boring it must be.  I find it comforting.   It's sensible and efficient.

I cut through here to get to my preferred bike route.


When I cycle, it's a different story.  I cut through the woods to get to my usual route and get much further away from my house.  I'm pragmatic though, making sure I carry my phone as well as plenty of hydration and nutrition depending on my planned mileage.   If I have mechanical issues, I want to be able to call my husband or one of my kids.  My phone is set where they can find me as well, heaven forbid there was an accident.  No, it can't be all fun and carefree whimsy.

In the fall, it is completely dark when I start a morning ride. Being pragmatic about safety, I attach several lights to my bike so others can see me; at the very least a headlight and two flashers in the back. Recently, I was given the opportunity to review the new Running LED Light Belt by Level Up.  I was excited to have another item to add to my visual safety arsenal!   But this time, the lights would be attached to me and not my bike.



I opted for the neon green color as my other lights are red.  The LED light has three settings: steady, flash slow, and flash fast.  Options!  The belt has one large pocket with a wide, comfortable, and adjustable strap.  Because I used the belt while cycling, I turned it around so that the lights were on my back.  My iPhone 6 fit easily in the pocket while still in it's thick Otter Box case. There was plenty of room to add GUs, keys, or whatever you might need to carry.  The belt remained comfortably at my waist.  Even though I'm a heavy sweater, my iPhone stayed dry. 

The lights are bright!

Although it is marketed as a running belt, I found this belt to be a pragmatic solution to both visual safety and phone accessibility issues for my cycling.  As an added bonus, it's always available to me to use while running too!  If you are interested in the Running LED Light Belt, use code RCE5FGY8 to get 50% off at checkout.



In what ways are you pragmatic?



I'm linking up with Deb @ Deb Runs for the Wednesday Word.

Please visit Deb and the other participating bloggers.  It's fun!


20 comments:

  1. I really like that belt. I haven't been a very pragmatic runner lately but I need to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a bright lime green. I have no doubt people can see me out on a ride now.

      Delete
  2. So fun, the light up belt! I love all the things LED. That belt will come in handy when it's dark in the morning again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already noticed it isn't as light now in the mornings. Does that mean fall is on the way? Whoop! We can start the countdown!

      Delete
  3. I'm already noticing that it's darker in the morning when I take my dog out. :-( I was pragmatic in Miami when I opted for the hotel gym instead of running outside! At home, I am torn between running close to home and driving for a shadier route.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noticed the same thing the last couple of weeks! I can't imagine running in the Miami heat/humidity. Thankfully, the park in our neighborhood is always shady.

      Delete
  4. I DO find running in my neighborhood to be extremely boring & I don't particularly like looping& it's hard to eek out more than abut 6 miles tops.

    I'm very pragmatic about the number of animals I can have. Yes, I want to save them all, but when you start getting a large pack, then you just can't pay as much attention to them.

    And I've always said I can only have as many dogs as I can walk at one time, and until we can muzzle Bandit, Mr. Judy has actually been walking Lola every day! He thinks this is my evil plan to get him moving. No, honey, that's just a side benefit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha -- And I LIKE looping. One down...two down. I hope things will settle down with Bandit soon. Maybe you will be able to teach an old dog a new trick?

      Delete
  5. My gears are really switched this summer as far as my running goes. Yes I'm still getting it in but I'm upping my strength training and I even want to add more weights, do more activities outside like kayaking and such. But I think I don't stray far from running being my ultimate fitness of choice therefore I'm pragmatic enough to keep it at the top of my game. That was pretty good huh? You know I had to look up the meaning... No shame!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you know I looked it up before attempting to write this post! LOL. You've really done great mixing it up this summer. I think it will pay off this fall when you are ready to up that mileage. You'll be kicking butt and taking names!

      Delete
  6. That's a really cool belt! I've been pragmatic in the fact that right now I just don't have time to train for a race, so I run when I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know sometimes that is the best way to go. No training plan, no stressing, just run for fun!

      Delete
  7. My cut-through is so overgrown on the opposite end that I sometimes miss it on my return and have to backtrack! It's the same place I lost my phone on Halloween too. Evil. I like your blinking vest!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a really good reminder for me to carry my phone, especially when I start long early-morning runs. I think I feel so safe on my route now that I just don't think I'll need it...but you never know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As careful and safe as I am in my neighborhood, you never know who could be lurking around.

      Delete
  9. When it comes to running I am very pragmatic. Races that are close by. Running routes I can walk to. Safety is very important. In the country side I run back & forth in front of the house because I am too nervous about something happening and my family not knowing where I am. Better safe than sorry in many instances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. For some reason, I feel less safe on the bike. I guess because of the added mechanical issues or having an accident.

      Delete
  10. I love this belt and am going to be ordering one ASAP! I am still a newish biker and am quite leery about traffic, but this looks like a great addition to my visibility. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer wearing my running belts on my bike! You never get the bouncing or sliding up issues. They can carry your phone plus many other things too.

      Delete
  11. That belt seems really nice. It's important to show up when we're running or biking in the early hours before the sun comes up.

    Thanks for linking up, Holly!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for taking the time to leave one!