Thursday, February 22, 2018

Friday Runfessions (February)



It's the last Friday of the month and you know what that means...

It's time for Runfessions!  Let's get right to it.




I runfess...

I've been avoiding buying new shoes because, shallowly, I didn't like any of my color options.  I don't know why I thought they'd change if I procrastinated.  I finally had no choice.   I do love the fact that I can lace up a new pair of Mizuno Wave Inspires, go for a run, and absolutely forget I have a new pair of shoes on my feet.   I'll just have to pretend they are red.





I runfess...

Last weekend, one of my sons clued me in to the trails located in the nearby woods.  Never mind the fact we've lived here over 18 years.  We took the dogs for a hike and, lo and behold, there they were winding their way around.  They're overgrown and hilly but not too technical. Or so I thought.  The next day I went back in for a run.   I further runfess, I guess I got a little carried away.  My ankles were sore for a few days. 


I runfess...

It is Spring here.  Being honest, it is not my favorite time to be outside.  {Please, no hate mail.}  Don't get me wrong, I love seeing everything burst with color.  In fact, spring tree green is my favorite color. (Margarita green is another...I digress...)   But, it is already warm and humid enough for running to be a struggle.  Yet, it's not warm enough to water ski or enjoy the pool.  It's that weird in between time where I have to take allergy medicine, can't think due to the excessive bird chirping outside my office window,  and have to clean the yellow pollen off my car.  Every.Damn.Day.




I runfess...

I'm signed up for another marathon!  After falling in love with the scenic downhill course of the 2014 Inaugural REVEL Rockies half marathon in the canyons outside of Denver, I decided to return for the full distance.   I see many downhill interval sessions in my immediate future.  One thing that is nice about the REVEL series?  They have a liberal refund, transfer and deferral policy - which takes a little of the pressure off. 


I runfess...

Although I'm excited to have another crack at the marathon distance, I'm still struggling to get out of bed for my early morning runs.  As the temperature has been topping 80 degrees every day this week, it's necessary to get these runs in bright and early.  I've got to get my act together!



What would you like to runfess?


I'm linking with my friend Marcia today from Marcia's Healthy Slice.
Please stop by and join in with your own Runfessions!




I'm also joining in on the Friday Five 2.0 linkup
Stop by and see what everyone is talking about.







30 comments:

  1. Kind of funny that your boys knew about those trails...lol...

    I'm impressed that you're going to train for another marathon. As much as I'd love to do it, I just don't think my body would hold up to the mileage. I'd rather save myself for some adventures like more halfs and maybe a little waterskiing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going with a less running miles and more cross training approach this time. The good thing is I can always switch distance if I don't feel comfortable doing the full.

      Delete
  2. I cannot believe it's so warm there already! We've got months of wintery weather ahead of us up here. Yeah trails can definitely take a toll on you if you're not used to them. Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was being careful on those trails. They got me anyway!

      Delete
  3. That's good news about the new Mizunos! I liked the 12's (I think that was their number), but they still weren't as perfect as those dear, old 8's were ((sigh)). I've been back in Brooks Adrenalines (17's) since before Christmas, and they have been nearly perfect. They still have a lot of miles in them, but I'm already antsy about getting another pair of shoes to add to my rotation...not sure if I should search for another pair of the 17's (which are getting scarce), try the 18's, or give the Mizunos another whirl. Ugh...runner probs LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One generation was made with very stiff material on the top. My toes did not like that! I'm glad they went back to the softer stuff. These seem roomier in the toe box than the last generation.

      Delete
  4. Thats exciting to be training for another marathon! I cant believe its so warm there already. We had a taste of spring this week but we definitely have at least a few more weeks of winter here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to have to take advantage of any cold snap we may be lucky enough to get at this point. I can't believe how fast it changed.

      Delete
  5. I'm the same way with sneakers. I really prefer bright colors for my sneakers but I noticed that the colors of the Mizuno sneakers are kind of blah.

    I agree with you - I'm not a huge fan of Spring. I don't like that the weather is getting hotter and it's also the time where my allergies go completely haywire!

    Congrats on picking your next marathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want a red Mizuno. They haven't had that color in Inspires, unless I want to buy a men's shoe. Allegra has been keeping things in check for me.

      Delete
  6. Wow! A downhill marathon?! I've never heard of such a thing. How do you prepare your body for the whole going downhill experience for that long?

    I love Spring. I actually don't mind all the birds chirping. I runfess that I have multiple bird feeders so that I can hear them and watch them. :) Not the biggest fan of my truck being pollen yellow though. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done the Revel half, so at least I know what I'm in for. LOL. I'll do downhill interval training. I like to hear the chirping birds on a run. But they are so noisy at my office, I can't think.

      Delete
  7. I'm like you and that I will hold off from buying new shoes because of the color. Luckily I found a color just in time before my other ones got worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I see have a "good" color, I'm going to buy multiple pairs. They once made bright green and orange, etc. No longer.

      Delete
  8. I think I've gotten to choose a pretty color for my running shoes like twice in the 9 years that I've been running - it's sad, shoes are such a huge part of running and I always end up in dull, blah ones most of the time.

    Love that downhill marathon - there is a downhill half in Austin that I was always curious to run but it's the week after Houston so it never worked out...in my mind, I'd fly through that course. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My shoe style has become very blah. They once were bright. Maybe I just don't know what is fashionable. LOL. In my mind, I'm going to be flying too. In reality -- YIKES.

      Delete
  9. I base my shoes off color too. Eventually I do have to get another pair, but when the new models come out, I immediately check out the color schemes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they go back to bolder colors. I just enjoy those more. At least they feel the same, though.

      Delete
  10. I love the color of your new shoes!! But then again, I like anything in the turquois/blue color area! Those trails look cool ...let's try to do a short trail race this summer! If for no other reason than the awesome food (and Dr.Pepper) they have at trail races! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After my ankles talked to me for a few days, I'm not sure I should be trail running. Maybe the right shoes would make the difference? I've only done a few 5ks and a 4 miler as trail races in the past. Twist my arm. LOL

      Delete
  11. I do not like spring either. I'll help you fend off the hate mail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the color it brings, but that is all. If it's going to be hot...skip on to summer already.

      Delete
  12. Well I admit I have done the same thing with the shoe color. I get very jealous when other people have cuter shoe colors!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just want a good red,lime green or even bright orange. I don't want pastel just because I'm a female. Is that too much to ask, Mizuno?

      Delete
  13. Love that color of the shoes. I LOVE buying new shoes. I have enough pairs for now but saw the new Brooks Launch 5 in the Boston Lobster and want to get them.

    Awesome for signing up for another marathon. I believe that is the same one Teresa is doing?

    That is funny how you feel about Spring but I do understand. Although, we could use some of that warmer weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get my husband started on the number of running shoes laying around. LOL. Yes, I convinced Teresa to do that marathon as well. If necessary, we can drop down to the half distance easily though.

      Delete
  14. Wow, that's serious heat already. Is it time for Spring or is it just temporary? I think downhill races are hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We may (hopefully) have a few cold days left, but for the most part -- spring is here. Normally, Easter is our last cool snap. The trees are popping green, my azaleas have buds, my tree allergies are at the extreme, etc.

      Delete
  15. I want a pair of pretty red running shorts, too, but haven't been able to find any...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are probably 10 years old. Champion brand. Very baggy. LOL.

      Delete

I enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for taking the time to leave one!