Sunday, February 1, 2015

Weekend Update


Rainy Days and Mondays Always Get Me Down...stuck in the seventies today.

I'm linking up with Tara @ Running 'N' Reading for the Weekend Update.


It was a fairly quiet, uneventful, race-free weekend for me, which is actually a little out of character.  I opted not to do Saturday's 5k/8k because they changed the route to a trail run.  Having not seen said trail, I decided I'd better not chance it.  Once before, I turned my ankle multiple times at a trail race that was overgrown with tall grass.   There was no way to see the rocks or holes.  I can't do that again.  I've got plans!  I also skipped the chocolate fun run on Sunday.  I couldn't bring myself to pay $40 {what?} just to eat chocolate that I don't need.  And, I would have felt the need to get my money's worth and yours too!


I Love Mizuno Inspires
I put a new pair of shoes in rotation.  Don't you just love it when you put on a new pair and can't tell they are new?  I didn't have to stop one time for a re-tie.  They came out of the box laced just right.  These probably look white, but they are a very pale purple.  It's a very different color for me and will take some getting used to.

This was a recovery week after running a half last Sunday.  I ran 4 slow and easy miles on Thursday, 4 tempo miles on Saturday and then another 8 moderately paced miles on Sunday.  Sunday's run was in a chilly misting rain, but it felt great!  I chose my hilliest route and stopped at The Mailbox twice for Gatorade.  My next half is 3 weeks away, unless I get a wild hair.  That's certainly been known to happen both ON and IN my head.

Speaking of wild hairs, my tentative plan is to run all 4 nearby half marathons (within about 90 miles) that fall on consecutive weekends from February 22nd to March 15th.  You heard me, 4 HMs within a 21-day window.  This would allow me to advance a moon level in Half Fanatics.  Yes, silly maybe but whoop-whoop anyway!  My personal best is 4 in 35 days.  {I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...}

On my Spring radar is a Girls On The Go half marathon in Las Vegas.  I guess it's really outside Vegas in the Lake Mead - Hoover Dam area.  It looks very interesting as a large part of it is on an old hard-packed railroad bed and includes multiple tunnels.  I've always been weirdly intrigued by trains for some reason.  This would give me a race in a new state and I've always wanted to see Hoover Dam.  I'm beyond excited about this.  I hope I can get it worked out. 

My award arrived in the mail from the First Light half marathon (race recap HERE).  This half will always be special to me and I will return every year that I possibly can.  The benefactors work all year to make the medals and awards for this race.  Please take the time to read the bio of the lovely lady who crafted my award.  It makes me misty-eyed.

The front of my award
And on the back























Of course Sunday evening was spent watching the Super Bowl.  Sorry die-hard fans, but my favorite part will always be the commercials.  The Skittles arm wrestling ad was a favorite.  Katie Couric and Bryant Gumbel's throwback was funny too.  I have to say the game itself was an enjoyable nail-biter.  The chicken, black bean and corn nachos we ate were delicious.  Seriously, anything you can top with sour cream can't be bad.  Has anybody else tried Dos-a-ritas (by Dos Equis)?  I still prefer my tried and true Lime-A-Ritas. 

  
I hope you had a great weekend.

What did you do?  What was your favorite Super Bowl Commercial?


41 comments:

  1. That's a LOT of half-marathons, good luck!

    We didn't care about either team, so only watched a few minutes. Managed to see the Budweiser puppy ad, which was only ok - too much known about it ahead of time. I preferred the few minutes of the Puppy Bowl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is. Thanks, I'll need all the luck I can get. Oh, I loved the ad where the horses rescued the dog!

      Delete
  2. Wow! that is one super cool award! Very special! You really have a big goal ahead of you- we will be routing for you! I guess you just keep bouncing between post marathon and pre marathon training, impressive! Yes I watched the super bowl but did not have a dog in that fight so I hung out with friends and enjoyed all the snacks! I am a sucker for the Budweiser commercials! Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that a sweet award? I do get stuck in contact taper and recovery modes. I loved the horses coming to the dog's rescue in the Bud ad.

      Delete
  3. I had the issue with hidden potholes yesterday on my snowy run!

    My favorite commercial was the Run Like a Girl. I'm going to put some thoughts about it on the blog...say tuned!

    Looks like it was an awesome weekend! Big plans indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a very impressive ad. It (almost) made me wish I had a daughter to teach that very important lesson to. I guess I'll have to wait for a granddaughter.

      Delete
  4. You got this! Just run easy during the week and don't race every half. Have fun! (And which races are they, says the nosy half fanatic. )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mercedes, Centerpoint, Tuscaloosa, and Montgomery plus maybe Mississippi River if I act on my wild hair.

      Delete
  5. You can totally do all those halves! It will be a blast! And I hope you get to do that one in NV! There is a race in WI that a huge portion of is in a tunnel (on an old rail trail) - sounds so neat!

    That award is so fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope I get can the NV race worked out. I like unusual or unique...I can do boring routes any old time!

      Delete
  6. I missed the Skittles ad! I'll have to look it up. Ads with puppies always do it for me, so I obviously enjoyed the Budweiser ad. Can we talk about how depressing/emotional most of the ads were this year? It was crazy how different they are than previous years'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG! The commercial about all the ways your child can die was SO out of place. It was definitely a downer.

      Delete
  7. Wow. Your award is really awesome, you know? I'm so thankful you shared that with us and the story about your race; what a powerful experience. I have some half fanatics in my women's running club; nothing they do anymore surprises me - ha! I love, love, loved that Katie Couric/Bryant Gumbel ad - so great! Are you like me and can remember watching them as they looked at the beginning of the commerical? Definitely brought back memories! Thanks so much for linking up with the blog again today; have a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I guess they call us fanatics for a reason. LOL. I do remember them on the Today show way back when!

      Delete
  8. Congrats on the award! That's awesome! I loved the Minion commercial, :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's a very unique and special award. I must have missed the Minion ad!

      Delete
  9. I love that award, so unique and just gorgeous!! I'm a fan of doing things that require a wild hair, so your marathon of half marathons sounds awesome to me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sometimes those wild hairs generate the most fun! And, planning can wear me out!

      Delete
  10. I love getting a new pair to put into the rotation and going out on the first run and they feel so great, no adjustments needed... Awe that's when you know you've got a great shoe!!!
    Love that award, that is so much cuter than most that just print your name on a plaque. I did read the bio, wow that is a very special lady, no wonder she puts so much effort into the awards!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would glance at my feet and think "Oh, I'm in my new shoes". Couldn't tell at all! I just think it's great they have the benefactors involved in making the medals and awards.

      Delete
  11. Congratulations receiving your award. hope you had a great recovery week. My favorite commercials were the lab and the doritos ones.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 4 halfs on consecutive weekends is a great challenge! I love Lime-a-Ritas. The razz ones a too sweet for me though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like any of the other flavors. They taste like cough syrup. But, the lime is very good.

      Delete
  13. Good luck with all the half marathons! I love the award/story you received.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'll need it. It is such a sweet story that these adults with disabilities make the medals and awards.

      Delete
  14. I'm trying to decide if I need new shoes soon. Due to my injury, I can't use the 500-mile rule because I know I don't have that in those shoes, but I can see wear on the soles of the shoes. I know the new Brooks Adrenalines are out, it's just a matter of going to the store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if you can see the wear, it might be time. Hopefully, you'll be back to 100% very soon!

      Delete
  15. Wow! So many half marathons! You're incredible! The Vegas one sounds really cool! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really looking forward to that one. I hope I can work out my travel plans.

      Delete
  16. Four consecutive half marathons sounds fun and maybe a little tough by the end! I love the pretty new shoes, Mizuno always makes such pretty shoes :) Great job on the award, I love that they are handmade, that is so personal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the 2nd one will be tough enough! LOL.

      Delete
  17. I have the same shoes! I love my Mizuno Wave Inspire 10s and need to buy some up before they're all gone (you know that they're discontinued, right?).

    Your award is very cool. I love L'Arche; it's a fantastic organization.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have 3 pairs of 10's. The 11's came out recently so I'm surprised to hear they are being discontinued. I'll definitely do some research. If so, I'll have to buy every pair I can find. We can fight over them! HA.

      Delete
  18. Dang girl, you are a racing machine! Go get that moon level Yes You can! I have those exact Inspires. I won them from Mizuno but I can't wear a stability shoe. Do you wear a 7.5 by chance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how I wish I could. That would be too small! Thanks anyway.

      Delete
  19. Mad props to you for doing 4 HMs in 21-days! I'm hoping to run maybe 4 HMs in one year. Haha. I liked the Doritos and the Progressive commercials, though I saw them today because--gasp--I didn't watch the Super Bowl. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mad, is right! Ha Ha. I just won't be able to "race" all of them.

      Delete
  20. Good luck with all those half marathons so close together. I doubt I would have the stamina to try that feat, but I was stupid enough to run the Dopey Challenge last year! Love the hand made award you receive and the story behind it. Very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this would be easier than Dopey. You get a week to rest and recover. Dopey is a wonderful accomplishment!

      Delete
  21. Will do! You get better and we will do one together!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for taking the time to leave one!