Tuesday, December 12, 2017

A New Adventure

For the Tuesday on the Run topic, we were prompted to discuss something new we tried in 2017.  Ooooo!  I did something new!  And something pretty epic, or at least it was in my eyes.

This year I cycled not one but two century rides.  If you need a little clarification, century rides are organized cycling events in excess of 100 miles.  Let me tell you...at my slow cycling speed, they are an all day affair.  Century rides are not races.  There is no competition for the fastest time; no age group awards.  However, their completion comes with a load of bragging rights.  I hope you'll humor me... 


Rest stop at mile 70.  ONLY 30 or so miles left!

My buddy Teresa and I had talked smack for a while about doing a Century Ride (or even the metric distance which is 67+ miles).  We just couldn't seem to nail down a date that worked.  Then miraculously, a ride that wasn't even on our radar popped up just days before the event back in September. Teresa was free that weekend so we took the plunge.  At the time, my personal cycling distance record was 65 miles.  Meh...a mere technicality.


Riding out the storm.

The DAM Century Ride was the perfect choice for our first attempt.  It was small, low key and the organizers and volunteers made us feel at ease.  In fact, we had our own personal SAG vehicle.  We pedaled, we sang, we sweated profusely, we talked, we ate, we cursed, we were caught in a thunderstorm.  As my youngest often proclaimed when he was a toddler...it was the best day ever.

Sweet success!

I had such a great experience at the DAM Ride, that I did another century ride a few weeks later.  The Glassner Autumn Challenge was a much larger event.  However, it was more difficult to complete without a friend pedaling and singing by my side.  I can admit to a lot of soul searching during this ride as there was plenty of time for thinking. 


Who knew Elvis worked Century Rides!
The Glassner Challenge went overboard with their rest stops.  The food and entertainment were much needed and welcomed breaks from pedaling in the unrelenting deep south heat.  At the Elvis rest stop, the rock band was so good I didn't want to leave!

This rest stop was truly an oasis!
Looking at this pic, all I remember is -- I was roasting.

I was awarded with two medals at the finish line; one for participating at any distance and one for being a Centurion.  I decided they were worthy enough to hang with my marathon and half marathon medals.  'Cause let me tell you, 100 miles is a freaking long way.  On A Bike.  In The Hellacious Heat.  {See?  Still bragging!}


This ride is definitely worth a repeat!



Have you ever thought about riding a bike for 100 miles?


Tell me something new you tried in 2017 or plan to try in 2018.







Thanks to our wonderful hosts:Patty @ My no-guilt life! 
Marcia @ Marcia's Healthy Slice
Erika @ MCM Mama Runs 

31 comments:

  1. I'd like to do a century ride. Looks like you had so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we should do one! They are very hard...but the funadventure factor wins out, no doubt. You can ship your bike to a local bike shop who will ready it for you. (I didn't know that was a thing!)

      Delete
  2. I'm so impressed that you did not one, but TWO century rides! That falls into badass territory. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! It did feel that way at the finish line. LOL.

      Delete
  3. I can't believe that you did two century rides this year, that's awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I figured I might as well knock another one out while I was used to that mileage! And, I go slow anyway...

      Delete
  4. Aw it looks like you had a lot of fun! I would love to do a century but unfortunately biking really bothers my ITB so it's just not in the cards for me unless I want to be in PAIN for several days after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? That's too bad. It sometimes bothers the back of my left knee but it recovers quickly. It would probably help me to have another professional bike fitting before attempting the long distance again.

      Delete
  5. I'd say you can brag on both :) The longest I can really go biking is 45 minutes before my muscles start getting tired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you! I did cycle at least twice a week most of the spring and summer -- a speedy session and a long session. It helped.

      Delete
  6. Combined with all of your running... dang girl, you are awesome! I think my butt would die on a bike for that long, even with a cushion and padded pants! The only new thing I tried this year was IVF, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not, your butt does get the hang of all of that time in the saddle. LOL. Hang in there Mama!

      Delete
  7. I seriously couldn't even imagine. I never rode a bike anywhere far. Ever. Haven't been on one in years & no desire to be on one, either.

    First trail half (and shorter trail race), first race at elevation in 2017.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went many years without a bike and then had a mountain bike for occasional rides. I surprised myself when I found out I liked road cycling. I think it's the "wheeeeee" factor. LOL.

      Delete
  8. You can absolutely do it. Having someone to share it with makes a huge difference. And don't forget, you get to stop and get off! That helps so much! I agree about 2018.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heck I don't even like riding my hour when I teach my spin class let alone 100 miles outside....haha. So kudos to you! You are a beast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is much easier and comfortable to ride outside than to ride on a trainer or spin bike. I don't know why that is -- but it is true!

      Delete
  10. Well, I have thought of doing a century ride, but it was a fleeting moment thing LOL maybe someday, but I'd need a pack of gal pals along with me. My new thing for 2017...that would have to be walking for fitness & endurance while the running shoes "sabbaticaled" for three months. That was an eye-opening experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a group ride would be so much fun! But that leaves most participants shipping or flying with their bikes. It can be done, but it's an added element of planning and stress. But you know, some people do it all the time!

      Delete
  11. I think I want an autograph from a freaking double Centurion! That is a super cool accomplishment. One I'd love to tackle one day. I can only imagine how tough those are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Well, I definitely need to practice my autograph. I know this is definitely in your wheelhouse, Sista!

      Delete
  12. Its such an awesome accomplishment to do not one but TWO century rides! So impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, friend. Being able to get off at the rest stops (even for a few minutes) makes all the difference in the world.

      Delete
  13. I remember reading about these rides when you did them and thinking, I should give that a go! But I will first have to sort out my bike - I don't think I have been on it in over 10 years! It is definitely dusty and probably rusty too! My new thing in 2017 was actually running and racing! I have now done Number 16 of 17 and it has been an incredible journey. Blogging and linking up with you and Tricia has also been so much fun. Getting advice and tips and encouragement from you and other blogs has really contributed to my running journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had an old mountain bike I used to ride. Once I became injured and couldn't run for a while, I bought a road bike and found I enjoyed cycling! You've have a wonderful year of racing and I've enjoyed following along.

      Delete
  14. I loved our century ride experience and can't wait for 2018's epic 100+ miler as well! I think we should shoot for a blogger cycling meet up at one of these century rides!! How epic would that be??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that would be an excellent idea. Sanity and Lexi should meet new friends too.

      Delete
  15. I remember your century rides! I have friends who do triathlons and Ironman and do things like this all the time. I just can't imagine it. The time they spend riding is longer than it would take me to run a marathon (if I ran marathons). I think it's awesome that you tried the century rides and made it through... it's always brave to leave your comfort zone in a workout and think that helps with courage in other parts of life as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about the courage comment. Hard or uncomfortable things come up and I think "If I can ride 100 miles" or "If I can run a marathon", I can do this!

      Delete
  16. Century rides seem like an awesome experience and you've done an awesome job attending two of them. Thanks for giving me a motivation to give this a try, HoHo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rest stops are very fun and a welcomed chance to rest. It's not as hard to "chew" when you break it into stops like that.

      Delete

I enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for taking the time to leave one!