Friday, October 27, 2017

Five Runfessions for October


Here we are screeching toward the end of October! 
 
And that can only mean...it's time for RUNFESSIONS!


I runfess...

For years, I've run in the dark hours of early morning.  I know where every pothole, sewer cover, burned out street lamp and patch of rough pavement are located in my vicinity.  Always vigilant, I make sure I'm visible to the few cars out and about at that time.  After wearing my LED armband on my arm forever and having the band overlap so much that some of the light was covered, I tried it on my calf.  It chafed.  So, what to do?  Voila!  My chicken neck is the perfect fit.  I get 360 degree lighting with no chafing!  I just need to get over the fact is looks like a dog collar.


I runfess...

I now fart when I run.  No, no.  I swear ... it's my shoes.  Or, at least my new inserts.   They seem to be working well, so fart noises be damned.  Now, not only will you see me coming with my chicken necked lighted dog collar, you may hear me coming as well.  But, rest assured, you should not smell me coming. 

 
I runfess...

It's no secret I like to treat myself at Starbucks.  In fact, I'll further runfess I may have never done one of these posts without mentioning Starbucks.  I typically treat myself after a race.  But I'll also shamefully use any unpleasant task as an excuse.  Dental Work?  Salted Caramel Mocha Latte.  Flu Shot?  Coconut Milk Mocha Macchiato.  Unholy Trip to Walmart?  Pumpkin Spice Latte.
 

After my last 5k race...

I runfess...

Although I'm loving our recent cooler weather, I do not love the return of my Raynaud's Syndrome. In layman's terms, it's where you fingers lose blood.  Oddly, running in the cold is not a big trigger even though you'll often see me running in gloves.  Grocery shopping?  Oh, my!   The worst!  Is it too much to ask for heated grocery cart handles?
 

A good day -- only one finger was affected!

I runfess...

After a lackluster summer of running -- which was by design -- and then getting hit with a inflamed ankle tendon (still not sure where that came from!), I've had to fast track for a few weeks to catch up on my long run mileage.  Please file this under:  do not do as I do!  It's probably the cooler, easier-to-breathe-in Fall weather but -- I've got the Winter marathon itch really, really bad.  Anyone else?


What would you like to runfess?



I'm linking with my friend Marcia today from Marcia's Healthy Slice.
Please stop by and join in with your own Runfessions!



I'm also joining on the Friday Five 2.0 linkup
Stop by and see what everyone is talking about.
 





36 comments:

  1. Those sugar skull cookies are so cute! LOL on the farting insoles. Sometimes my Oofos are noisier than they should be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll further runfess that the insoles have calmed down some as I've gotten them worn in. It was pretty embarrassing at first!

      Delete
  2. I runfess that I treat myself to Starbucks after any unpleasant task as well 🙂- as I type this I'm sipping on a frappacino bc I just got my flu shot. I also runfess that I would totally run with blinkie lights around my neck. I think you should see if you can get it trending!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got my flu shot this week. I couldn't even feel the stick -- but it was still worthy of a Starbucks treat. LOL.

      Delete
  3. I runfess that I failed to play Starbuck's latest bingo game, which is highly irregular of me. I think you're starting a new trend with that lightup choker. Whatever works right? Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To play bingo, SB makes me log in. And, their password requirements are ridiculous. Therefore, I can't ever remember how. LOL.

      Delete
    2. SAME - why can I use their app to buy drinks but not to play bingo?!

      Delete
    3. That drives me insane. I can order, I can pay, I can reload my card but can't play Bingo. Make it easier Starbucks!

      Delete
  4. Oh man, I love to treat myself to Starbucks for little things too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't take much to treat myself. Running lunchtime errands will usually require a visit too. HA.

      Delete
  5. Sorry if this comment shoes up twice... I had Raynaud's symptoms for the first time ever a couple weeks ago. My fingers weren't as white as your's but all of them were affected. It was weird because it wasn't even that cold out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Were your hands elevated? Driving will sometimes trigger mine as well. Usually, all of my fingers are affected but never my thumbs. Running very warm (hot) water over mine is the quickest cure I've found.

      Delete
  6. My inserts make sound effects too. I was told baby powder helps with that, but then do I want to deal with the smell? it's not my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do seem better with their noises after I've broken them in some. I'll have to try the baby powder trick. The smell wouldn't bother me.

      Delete
  7. LOL you don't look like you're wearing a dog collar! But I will runfess that I did a group run with a glowstick around my neck and it did NOT go well!

    Is it bad that I can't remember the last time I've stepped foot in a Starbucks? Don't hate me! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't hate you... I admire your iron willpower! LOL.

      Delete
  8. One trick you can use for your insoles - remove the insole, out baby powder inside the sneaker and then put the insole back in. It helped a lot when my new insoles were squeaking like crazy!

    I am still holding out for cooler temps before i get my first PSL of the season. I don't drink coffee, but love the holiday lattes from Starbucks (including Gingerbread)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone else mentioned the baby powder too. I've never heard of that! I love a Gingerbread Latte. I'm patiently waiting on it...

      Delete
  9. Genius idea to put the light around your neck! I love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm amazed it doesn't chafe my neck. Whatever works, right?

      Delete
  10. The farting insole is too funny :) I think the light up choker is a stroke of genius! I also have Raynaud - isn't it crazy how it's worse in a grocery store?! The frozen food section is just torture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many other ladies I know have it too! I swear, I'm going to start using hand warmers at the grocery store. It's brutal.

      Delete
  11. I am rolling about the "chicken necked, lighted dog collar, farting sound!!!! Oh dear I sure needed that though! OMG I was looking back at my camera roll and saw a picture of a skull cookie from Starbucks! Boy those are the best! I deal with Raynauds too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speaking of pictures, my phone (or some app) has started making slide shows on it's own. Anyhoo, the first one was of us! I tried to send it to you but I guess I can't share it. It made me misty-eyed.

      Delete
  12. My mom swears I have that too because my fingertips are always white. Is it something that you get tested for? I mean there really isn't any cure right? Just wear gloves I suppose. I was just listening to the radio the other morning and there is a new limited time only Halloween drink at Starbucks. I guess it has powdered caramel candy apple flavoring in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was never tested and I don't think there is a cure. You learn what your triggers are and try to avoid them. Mittens work better than gloves when it's really cold -- like when we go snow skiing. I saw that Halloween Frappacino but haven't tried it...yet.

      Delete
  13. Ummm no winter marathon for me. But I can empathize with you on the farting shoe inserts. My Spenco orthotics do that very thing. Not so much when I'm running, but when I walk? You hear me coming, one squeek at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I'll ever want to wear my running shoes now unless I'm running for that reason. I'll sound like I have the walking farts. LOL.

      Delete
  14. My husband has RS. I just suffer from cold hands regardless of the time of year. I would love heated grocery cart handles. Brilliant!

    And as for the winter marathon... ummmm... that would be a big fat no. I've run too many miles in 2017 already! Zzzz. :) I hope you get your fix soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went on a trip to DC a couple of years ago and my fingers stayed white the whole time. I was miserable! (It was very cold and windy!) I've had an extended "off" season and my mind is ready to go. Not sure about the old body.

      Delete
  15. Winter marathon...yes, maybe if I lived in a warmer climate. I've seen a few late winter/early spring marathons, but the thought of putting in all those long runs in (usually) sub-freezing weather is just not for me. I'll run outside year-round, but I don't know if I'd enjoy "training" in it. And that dog collar ;-) TOO cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After suffering through our hellish summer, I'm raring to go -- as long as I can get my body to cooperate. Our racing season is just beginning while yours is probably winding down soon.

      Delete
  16. The dog collar comment is funny :) Better safe than sorry! Do you happen to have light-up sneakers too?

    Nicole @ www.bentomomentos.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have light up sneakers but do have small lights I can attached to my sneakers. I'll have to check those out.

      Delete
  17. I've been known to wear my headlamp around my neck (back when I ran in the dark). Course with the holidays creeping closer I do like to run into twilight to see the Christmas lights if it's not utterly freezing. I can usually get away without a headlamp then, though.

    I never thought about the grocery store being a problem for people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people will leave their holidays lights on all night (I don't). So, I get to enjoy them in the dark early morning hours too! If you have any condition aggravated by cold air, the grocery store is pure hell. LOL.

      Delete

I enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for taking the time to leave one!